Redesigning The Warlace Logo
Let’s take a break from the studio or not… editor or not and take a look at a recent project.
So, the goal was to take the Warlace logo that I created 20+ years ago and update it to be used in many different formats and sizes.
Why redo this logo?
We’re taking the Warlace concept originally developed for comic books and updating it to use in the development of a video game.
I like the logo and the character (you’ll see more of the character’s design in a future post) but the only digital copy of the original logo I could find was 72 dpi. All other uses of the logo were flatted on the art that it was used. So the first challenge was to get the logo sized to at least 300 dpi and to fix a few problems that I have seen over the years.
I used an older version of Photoshop (CS2) in recreating the artwork. I brought the original logo into the program and updated the dpi to use as a template because this logo could be used on boxes and games and may even need to be blown up to be used on promotion banners. We wanted to clean up the line artwork and keep as many layers as possible so the logo could be easily changed as needed in the future.
We wanted to keep the hand lettering feel of the logo and not convert it to a simple font.
Most of the letters were simple but the “a” and “r” needed some extra work. I wanted more roundness to the letters. This was a simple task using the oval-shaped marquee tool.
I dropped in a copy of the shield and then expanded my selection of the lettering and shield to create the expanded border. Afterwards, I used the marquee tool as a fixed circle and cleaned up the shield border.
Once this was done I added a drop shadow of the lettering and added colors then dropped the painted shield into its placement. (I did find a copy of the shield alone so I didn’t have to recreate it for this project.)
Here are the two logos. You can see I made the lettering bolder in the new logo and the line art is much cleaner.